Thursday 24 April 2008

Overwhelmed ...

I am not sure how best to cope with the black soil, the open water and two large hairy dogs that love both. I have been vaccuuming every day ... sand and hair ... but this is worse. The dogs have to be bathed before you can let them in the house now. They dry and then the black dirt is everywhere. Today I cordoned off the stairs so that they cannot get up to the pine floors which all have to be washed this morning, and have banished them from the bedroom with its cream coloured carpet.

Maybe I will have to confine them to the porch till I have a chance to give them sponge baths.

The long term solution is to plant the clover so that they walk on grass rather than topsoil. And the other, shorter term, solution is to get the cottage debris including black ash cleaned up. Then I can take the dogs down to the lake on wooden steps, patio brick and decking before letting them in to dry them.

I can't seed until Tom and his guys clear the area. The side yard is covered in tin and other crap they have strewn there, and they need to get wheelbarrows up the hill.

Once I can seed I will have to keep Kenya off the newly sown area. One dog's access is more easily controlled.

Damn ... too many possible pitfalls ... nothing is simple ... I miss the cleanliness of winter.

Any ideas?

2 comments:

Erin Kuhns said...

Bite your tongue, woman!

You should be rolling around in the dirt with the dogs, praising that it is finally here!

I'm coming for tea one of these days and I expect you to open the door and to be covered from head to toe in glorious, black soil. I expect nothing less.

Got it?

;)

Oma said...

Too funny ... but you would be less than delighted if all three of us were covered in soft wet black muck when you arrived. I am going out to buy a kid's wading pool today for the dogs to walk through on their way into the porch and the towels!