Saturday 26 April 2008

Henry's Journal Day 11

Dear Marta,

I am really sorry I haven't kept my journal up to date, but we've been busy ever since the snow melted. We get a bucket bath every time we come in now, and Oma lights the fire so that we can get warm and dry afterwards. She is going to buy a wading pool for us today so that we can wash our own feet on the way into the porch.

We swim every day (well, you know, Kenya swims and I wade) and then we dig in the fresh black earth. Kenya made a really deep hole in the patch of clover Oma planted last year. Oma just sighed.

The black ash that we used to walk through is moved now and covered with sand so it is a little easier to go in the water without getting really dirty.

We still walk Remi every day and we have taught him to walk nicely on the leash without wanting to wrestle all the time.

Yesterday he caused a bit of a commotion by refusing to give Oma the woodpecker he was clenching between his teeth. She did that really stern thing she does and told Kenya and me to go in the house till she got Remi sorted out. We watched through the patio door while she made him drop it. Well I think maybe he just got tired of her holding his collar really tight and yelling at him so he finally dropped it of his own accord. Anyway she was pleased and let him inside with us and gave us all cookies. We told Remi quietly that he might as well just do as he is told right away; he'd get the cookie faster; but he's still a puppy.

At least this time he didn't growl or try to bite the human trying to take away his wild game. He is quite nasty with the beaver carcass apparently. Oma never lets him near it, but last night he dragged it onto the lawn and growled again at Sarah.

Not much new happens here every day. We play and run and walk and sleep and eat, same as always. And we get lots of cuddles from Oma and from Rowboat Flo when we see her. She likes me best. Yesterday I got pats from two other ladies on the lake. I think they like me because I go and stand close to them really quietly and lean into their hands. Oma says I am a real suck, but she says it with a smile and a hug.

I hope you are having fun. Say hi to everyone for me and give them one of my tailwags.

Love,

Henry.

No comments: